Join us for a Webinar on October 23
SPACE IS LIMITED, REGISTER TODAY!
How much does a border family really need in 2012 to get ahead and thrive? To answer this question, organizations concerned with the well-being of border families must first understand how much it takes to just get by: to be able to live where you live.
The Self-Sufficiency Standard a project of the Center for Women's Welfare (CWW) at the University of Washington School of Social Work, defines the amount of income necessary to meet basic needs without public subsidies or private assistance. The Standard not only provides a realistic measure of income adequacy (as an alternative to the official federal poverty level), it is also a versatile and useful tool in promoting family economic security. First calculated for Iowa in 1996, today, the Standard can be found in 37 states including California and Arizona. Recently, the Women’s Foundation of Southern Arizona funded the research so that the Self-Sufficiency Standard for Arizona could be updated and used as a tool to improve economic security for families and individuals.
Join us for a presentation by Dr. Diana Pearce and Lisa Manzer of Center for Women's Welfare and Laura Penny, Women’s Foundation of Southern Arizona as we explore what the Standard is revealing about the well-being of border families, their opportunities and challenges.
Participants will gain:
- An understanding of the process and criteria used to develop the Standard
- An understanding of the process undertaken by the Women’s Foundation of Southern Arizona to fund and facilitate the utility of the Standard locally
- Practical knowledge to help organizations evaluate wages and family budget constraints, provide career counseling, and create programs that lead to economic self-sufficiency
- Information that compares data across border states where the Standard has been developed recently
- Ideas for how the Standard could be adapted within your community
BPP webinars are free for current members and $25/session for non-members.
Non-members will be invoiced for webinar fee within a week of the session.
Have questions about the webinar or membership? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org